Thursday 20 September 2007

Messina

241 Victoria Street, Darlinghurst
Monday - Friday, 4.30pm-11.30pm; Friday - Saturday, midday-11.30pm; Sunday, midday-11pm
Okay. Here's what happened:
1/ Frozen cow's milk + sugar + amazing ingredients (usually in semi-whole form) = exciting.
2/ I = looking for a car park in Darlinghurst + decision to turn left because a park is seen RIGHT OUT THE FRONTAL OF EXCITING.
3/ I = temporarily forget everything but the gelato anticipated + start driving down a very busy, very one-way street, the very wrong way + blissfully not realising latter point.
4/ Dude with a parked truck unloading goods of food = starts to wave arms vigorously + and shouting indiscernible things at my carface.
5/ I = "Dude, seriously, wtf you wanging on about?"
6/ The next second = a three-lane stream of speeding cars come towards me.
7/ I = *screal* + pull massive tankbitch of a car over to the left + hunches shoulders over (...yeah, no-one knows why).
8/ Police car happens to be the first car to approach and see me = I x 100000 ("Oh crap. Now I'm gonna get me some fineage").
9/ Police peeps = stops their vehicle + get out + BRING OUT ORANGE CONES AND ARRANGE + halt all oncoming traffic + allow me to do the 43-point turn around it takes my car to do so.
10/ I = accelerates as fast as the polleese will let me down the street and into a terribly convenient spot the next block down + hide red-faced as all that were paused pass me by + claim that I need amazing amounts of gelato to cure the panic which had thus resulted from the ...err, "incident".

Somebunny loves me. No, really. I think that that "incident" proved once and for all, that I was (at least) the third luckiest person in the Inner City that day. That, and I think that I proved that I iz one dedicated Messina fangrrrrl. Risking lives! Saving them! All in a sunny afternoonsome.
This gelato bar is phenomenal. It's presentation serves a very modern and slick take on the fifties-style diner, albeit in tiny form. Lime green seats match the fluorescent green take-away cups, the matte taupe and dirty orange wallpaper climb busily over the walls, and the chrome glistens in an oh-so shiny fashion. It's gelato serves are *choose-your-own-deity* in a cup. A lovely mixture of traditional Italian flavours, that being cassata, tiramisu, hazelnut, cawfee, torrone, pistachio, strawberry, and lemon...bitches...as well as brilliant fusions of dreams nought before dreamt, that is, lime cheesecake, coconut & lychee, and chocolate sorbet. And just the gorram insanely good in terms of ingredients: notably the Tokay fig. If this place was a person, it could take me, there and then. Are the flavours displayed in mounds? Mountains? Half-buried soccer balls? I don't care, you decide. It's freakho beautiful, whatever the hell it's compared to.
If I describe to you any of the flavours my senses have experienced it would probably embarrass you. I'm just going to say that in terms of quality, ingredients used, and combinations available, this place is absolutely incredible. It's probably my second favourite gelato bar in Sydney. That's a Big Title. I hearts this place muchly. Seriously, they are definitely right about one thing: Forza Messina!!!111@@!!
I'm in ur kitchen, eatin' ur frozen goods.

No comments: