Saturday 15 September 2007

Located in the heart of what I'm beginning to think of as the definitive foodie suburb, Haberfield, Espresso Galleria represents a classic espresso bar, the kind of place that is about the coffee, first and foremost.
This small café is small, simple and minimalistic. There's no bacon and eggs here, no kitchen to speak of, merely a reasonable selection of delicious edibles such as a sumptuous Turkish delight, as well as uber-delicious home-made baklava. The service is quick and pleasant, and Emmanuel, the Barista and Owner, is a pleasure to watch at work. I'm a bit creepy in the way that I love to watch a quality barista at work, and Emmanuel is obviously a class act. He pulls short, well-balanced, espresso that lingers on the palate due to the dark richness of the blend. His milk is velvety smooth, and exactly the right temperature, and despite the fact that he does not indulge in latte art generally, his coffee leaves no room for complaint.

In other words, a classy espresso bar, aimed at a classy demographic. God, I love Haberfield sometimes.
He doesn't roast or blend himself, but every espresso I've had here has obviously been from fresh beans. He has beans available for sale, carefully chosen from two roasters that as far as I can tell, completely undisclosed. His coffee seems to err on the side of balance, which gives a smooth, milder espresso, but rarely seems to reach the highs of those such as Mecca, Campos or Single Origin. But, really, for where he is, and what he's doing, Emmanuel is doing a wonderful job. I think I've dropped in without fail, every time I've been in Haberfield. Doesn't hurt that Sulfaro's is across the road, either.

No comments: