Wednesday 1 August 2007

Finally walking in to Oscillate Wildly was exciting. Considering that we had waited almost 2 months since booking, my mouth was watering as I walked in through the door.

On paper, this sounded like my ideal restaurant. Located in Newtown, an area with which I'm familiar, it promised inventive cuisine, quirky but intimate settings and a reasonable price tag. The fact that they were using a Smiths reference as the name of the restaurant (which in turn references all around good guy, Oscar Wilde!) was only a ridiculously awesome bonus.

Now there are some disclaimers to make at this point. Yes, we accepted a booking for an early time. I understand that this implies that we are not expected to sit and laugh the night away, but rather to leave in order to accommodate the next booking. However, it doesn't mean that we want to be made to feel hurried and somewhat unloved. The service here seemed somewhat pleasant, but the overriding sense of haste was not.

I'm still trying to decide if the food tasted better than it looked. As you can tell by the photos the food was gorgeous, and it was clearly evident that a lot of attention had gone in to the visuals of the dish. My entrée, the scallop towers, were just as delicious as they look, and I was delighted to find that this was so. Nice and delicate, with a nice full flavour, it whet my appetite for some deer flesh!
The Mandagery Creek Venison was cooked to perfection, and served with a mash or "soil" that was intensely delicious. I realise that if I succeeded in describing how delicious this food was to you, many of the friends who read this dear blog may drown in their own saliva, and thus drastically reduce our readership of our blog, and I have decided not to try. Just know that it was delicious, up there with any meal I've ever had.
For desert I indulged myself in some cheese, which was accompanied with a wine glaze that went with the cheese delightfully. Having had some Saint Agur the night before, a deliciously smooth blue, I couldn't resist the allure of some more cheese, and they did not disappoint. A hard goats cheese and a softer cheese both were reasonably mild without being dull, and finished the meal off nicely.
Too bad about the service. Otherwise, this would be an automatic location to visit many, many times in my lifetime. At the moment, I'm not even sure if I want to revisit the restaurant, with so much delicious abounding in Sydney, and the dining experience that we experienced.

No comments: