Tuesday 17 July 2007

The problem with coffee is that there are so many vital components in crafting that perfect shot, the espresso that comes back to you in your dreams. However, you can be sure that where you find a barista who knows what they're doing, they will make sure to have the other components at their disposal.

Swerve is famous for its baristas. Scott Callaghan has won pretty much everything, and Luke seems to be no slouch either.

To be honest, I'm kind of obsessed. The first time I went, I was surprised to run across it, having heard of the café but completely unaware of where it was. Of course, I ventured inside for a coffee and I was impressed that Luke made sure to pull a double ristretto for a takeaway cup. I'm usually lucky to find a place who knows what a ristretto is. I must have come across kind of creepy: a small Asian guy watching every movement of the barista as he poured shots and milk, precisely and mechanically, trying to figure out how everything combined to produce the magic in each shot.

I admit it, that day I went back for another shot. And then made my friend get a latte.

This day though? The barista produced a shot that was great. They roast and blend their own coffee, a fucking good sign that they're serious about their coffee. It's a nice dark blend, chocolatey and earthy. Also, it makes me feel like my face is having an orgasm.
This isn't the greatest café ever. The food doesn't excite, the service is polite but stand-offish, and the café itself is cold and un-endearing. However, the coffee is absolutely top notch, and what else really matters for a coffee-geek like me?

It's really a shame that it's in a suburb that I have no reason to ever go to, other than maybe John's Bookshop. It's just nice to know that there are still places around that are serious about their coffee that I haven't really heard of.

No comments: