Saturday 7 July 2007

Instant Ramen has been a staple in my household for as long as I can remember. Easy to make, always delicious and generally awesome, I've oft considered the notion of moving out and eating nothing but ramen. The instant kind of ramen doesn't compare however, to some nice, freshly cooked fresh ramen that I was to receive at Ichi-ban Boshi.

Of course, being Korean, I have looked upon Japanese ramen with disdain, due to the consistent inability of the Japanese ramen I have tried to achieve the right type of spice to make that perfect bowl of ramen, and this was the case again. I went for the Tantanmen, which was delicious yet not quite fulfilling the requirements to be the "perfect bowl" that I was expecting from the recommendations I had heard. It was nice enough, but a tad bland. The servings are hearty, and the prices are low, perfect for students who want to eat a quick, filling dish.
I sound more disappointed than I actually was. A great place to go for lunch, the only downside being the wait for a table. The service is good, if a bit curt, and the atmosphere is very much food court-esque. I'd love to go back and try the other ramen on offer, but with Full House, Kura, Musashi, Ma Dang and a host of other excellent eats at the same price point abounding, it may suffer from the absurdly excellent competition in the area.

No comments: